StatCounter

June, 2015




We're baaaaaack!

It takes nearly a full week to get settled in here every season. I have worked hard to find more efficient ways to get us up and running and it's a good thing as we continue to add more stuff and systems every year. 

This home is by far the most labor intensive to transition to with boats and jet skis to clean and put in the water, water pumps to re-start, a reverse osmosis filter to re-instal,  a fridge ice maker to reconnect, a plane to take out of hibernation, all the house windows and screens to wash, outdoor furniture to put in place, the 'Little Free Library' to re-mount at the dock, a sewage treatment system to re-activate and flowers to plant for the summer. All of this aside from the usual complete restocking of the pantry and refrigerator each time we arrive, as we have been absent for the past 8 months. 

Yes, for us...it is worth it
Photo: Chris Murray, TI Life
We also have to retrieve boxes of products that would freeze at our unheated island home and not survive the -30 degree winters. Stuff like our printer with its inks, some canned goods, paint, glue and all manner of soaps and products you would not give a thought to would burst. We have neighbor friends who kindly store them in their heated basement for us. In the fall, we spend almost a week reversing the whole process getting everything ready to survive the brutal winters and still be in top shape upon our return.

I have wondered why it takes us so darn long to get up and running, but as I re-read this partial list I am getting tired already. All of this raises the question: Is it worth it? Is two weeks of work out of  the 16 weeks we spend here every summer worth it? To us, the answer is unquestionably...YES! Those two weeks allow us a lifestyle that is pure nirvana. It is simply not in our nature to settle for less than the best we can do and have so we gladly plug along to achieve it. 

We once had a friend who came to visit and having watched one too many episodes of "The Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" was rather miffed that we did not have a 'dock boy' to take his bags when he arrived. Actually, we have two of them. Here, they go by the names of Michael and Janice.


# 1 son




Within days of our arrival, our son Wesley flew in for a visit. It has been 10 years since he was here last so things around have evolved some since. It is great to spend time with our kids under any circumstances, but it is special to have one on one time with them too.

I am not saying that people come here to relax but...
While here, we did not miss the opportunity to tear up the river on the jet skis, take a side trip to visit Canada's capital, introduced him to long lost relatives, explore an historical Canadian village, visit Singer castle and crash river parties at every turn. 

Uncle Dave and aunt Monique dropping by to see Wesley



Is 6 enough?


This past winter, I posted an add on Craigslist that said: 

"Wanted:  Small ugly boat. No motor or oars. 
The worse the condition the better. 
A repairable hole or leak is acceptable. 
Must be cheap."


I got several offers for boats that were 35' (12M) when I was looking for something the size of a bathtub. Finally, a fellow called that was wanting to part with a mini vessel that was in excellent shape, the right size, for a reasonable price and would deliver it to a friend (we were still in Europe) to hold  until we got back.  

No sooner had we returned that its true purpose was revealed. Shameless copiers of other peoples great ideas, I built a platform within it and turned to Janice's green thumb to fill it with flowers. We then proceeded to float it on the river near our dock as a floating flower garden. The spray from our hose on the island can reach it for watering and a bilge pump keeps the excess water out from our watering and the rains to prevent it from sinking.

The S.S. Honey Bee, as it has been dubbed, joins the fleet of two jet skis, a canoe, a runabout (our sedan on water) and an aluminum fishing boat that grace our docks. This makes it # 6.



Time's up

Last fall I wrote that I would stop annoying  you with endless stories about 'Da plane, Da plane, Da plane' for the next 8 months. Well, time's up. Within days of our return, I rushed to the airport, pulled C-IJQP out of the hanger and fired her up. Sweeeet...


I had 'pickled' the engine so that it would not develop any rust in the cold hangar all winter, and made sure all was running tickety-poo before calling a CFI (certified flight instructor) to come take an hour long spin with me. I have my pilots license and do not require anyone to supervise or accompany me but out of an abundance of caution I want to start the season with a 'ride along' while I get any kinks and rust out of the pilot who has not flown for the past 8 months.

That out of the way, it's time to finalize my training to obtain my passenger carrying rating. That maybe all well and good but I am still totally in awe of this awesome flying machine. [Eyes well up] You can think of the experience akin to flying like a bird but it is more as it was described to me by a friend who called it a 'magic carpet' providing the privileged view. It's almost a religious experience. 

While I understand the physics of flight very well, total exhilaration still spiders down the length of my spine every time I lift off. It feels more like levitating than taking off. Orville and Wilbur had no clue as to the impact their work would have on my life.

Still, It's that time of the year again. Time to face the yearly onslaught of dire warnings of impending doom, of my spiraling to an explosive fiery end, screaming as I auger into the ground. They’d do as well to burn a pile of sacrificial owl feathers or chant in Mycenaean Greek to think it will deter me.

The rest of the story.....



It's OK. The thing is, people are not good at imagining the upside of things. They think of risk first. They think “this could be a better life- or death. Ooh, let’s avoid death”. But flying has added years to my life. I have truly come to understand the saying that the time spent flying does not count towards the time we are given on this earth. Besides, pilots are a realistic bunch. They know that flying is the 2nd greatest thrill known to man. Landing is the first.

I even had my first experience formation flying with another plane. Well, kind of. We flew a short flight near each other and I found it surprising how fast two planes can close in on each other.  

Some people are convinced that flying in a professionally assembled airplane by experienced builders is the only safe way to fly.  If so, they might want to consider that the ark was built by amateurs, the Titanic by professionals.

If you don’t live on the edge, you will never see the view.